Plant cloning has been around for a long time and, unlike animal and human cloning, is not ethically controversial. It is just a way to create new plants without using seeds, by cuttings. It is important that the cloned plant will have all the characteristics of the material, that is, it will be its full genetic copy. Productivity, disease resistance, plant sex – all this will be repeated in the clone. You can also clone one plant several times. Almost magic. We recommend using a trimming tray.
For magic, you need an adult plant in the growing season (growth and development), a knife or scissors, as well as a sponge, spray, and gel for cloning.
Benefits, types, cloning process
Why clone plants when you can grow them from seeds and seedlings? Here are some of the benefits of grafting:
- the same set of genes as in the mother plant (the clone of the female plant will be female, similar growth and development);
- yield and disease resistance, the content of active substances is the same as that of the mother plant;
- the mother bush can give several clones;
- clones are stronger and more viable than seedlings, develop faster, die less often, give a generous harvest.
Three types of cloning are used: stem (cuttings), leaf, root.
Stem cloning is the most common, so let’s take a closer look at it step by step. To clone cannabis:
- We find the place where the shoot branches off from the stem. Choose a young, fresh shoot with light green foliage. It is advisable to choose the shoot closer to the lower part of the plant – there are more rooting hormones, the cutting will take root faster (root growth will be accelerated by the cloning gel).
- We prepare a spray for cloning (for example, ROOT! T Cutting Mist Cloning Spray), in a few days we process the mother (donor) plant.
- Remember to disinfect the instrument, without it the plant can get sick. For disinfection, you can use alcohol or alcohol-containing infusions. We process all equipment.
- We prepare a growing medium: mineral wool soaked in solution or special sponges (for example, ROOT! T Natural Rooting Sponges sponges for cloning and germinating seeds).
- We take care of the rapid growth of roots: the cloning gel will help with this (accelerates the formation of the root system, stimulates the growth of roots).
- Cut off the stalk – with scissors, knife, scalpel or blade. Cutting length – 10-20 cm, cut angle – 45%. It is important that the cutting is in contact with oxygen as little as possible: otherwise, wound healing will begin and root growth will stop. To do this, it is recommended to immerse it in water while manipulating the germination medium (pH -5.8-6.2). If the wound begins to heal, renew it.
- Cut off all the foliage from the cutting. This is necessary so that the plant spends its vitality not on feeding the foliage, but on growing roots.
- Maintain the correct temperature (21-25 C) and humidity (80-90%).
- Use a lamp of cold color temperature (6500K) 18-20 hours a day. For the remaining time, growers recommend darkening the cuttings.
How to grow roots from a cutting: water, nutrient solution, clone gel
There are several ways to germinate roots. The easiest way is to place the cutting in plain water and leave it in it for a week or two. After that, transplant the cuttings with roots into the soil or substrate. This is not a reliable method, which is why many growers use mortars and gels.
The nutrient solution is water plus a root stimulant that creates an environment conducive to root growth and plant development. The roots grow faster, the root system is developed, the plant is healthy.
The modern method of root germination is clone gel. Growpro recommends ROOT! T cloning gel, which not only stimulates root growth, but also forms a seal around the cut surface, forces the plant to actively absorb nutrients, prevents dehydration, and prevents infection.
Cloning sponge and planting substrate
The cloning sponge is an effective replacement for mineral wool, water and other traditional germination methods. A sponge is a biodegradable polymer that combines peat, plant bark, beneficial trace elements and bacteria that stimulate the development of the root system. In the sponge, you need to place a cutting, pre-treated with clone gel, and the roots will not keep you waiting. Growpro offers sponges in a convenient tablet format: ROOT! T Natural Rooting Sponge Tablets for Cloning and Germinating Seeds. The texture of the sponge allows you to combine water and oxygen in the optimal proportion, creating an optimal environment for the development of the plant’s root system.
Another way to sprout roots from the cuttings is to treat with a clone gel and place in a substrate. The coir coir substrate is optimal for this – it is neutral, sterile and does not contain pathogenic microorganisms.